The Perfect Rack for 40 Gallon Tanks

I found this shelving unit from Lowe’s that fits two 40 gallon breeder tanks perfectly.  This means no more tanks on the floor of my dining room!  This is only half of the shelf, it can actually hold four tanks.  It’s nice because it’s heavy duty and can certainly hold the weight, but it also has a polished look to it so it doesn’t seem too terribly out of place in my living area.

Link Edsal Steel Shelving Unit

My new fish, Navi, is being quarantined in the bottom tank and my 3-week-old butterfly fry are up top (yes, I’m raising fry again!).  Once Navi’s quarantine is over, I’ll be able to move half of the fry to the bottom tank to give them more space to grow out.  I’m loving this setup!  In fact, I’m super tempted to run out to Petco the next time they have their dollar-per-gallon tank sale and grab two more 40 gallon breeder tanks so I can set up the other half of the shelf too…  who needs a dining room when you can have a fish room, right?!

Dia de los Muertos Goldfish Tank
I thought my goldfish should join in on the holiday fun! Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is
Read more.
Beginner Mistakes to Avoid | Dos and Don’ts
Do plenty of research before buying anyfish!  This will help you avoid many beginner mistakes and allow you toprovide a
Read more.
What Pet Stores Don’t Tell You About… Cycling
Now I don’t want to make it sound like all pet stores give bad information about fishkeeping, because some are
Read more.
Yujin Goldfish Gashapon Collection
Several months ago I discovered these goldfish gashapons and began collecting them!  Gashapons are Japanese capsule toys dispensed from coin
Read more.
Update on Luca, Felix, and Clover
My new ghost bristols have been getting all the attention lately, so I thought I’d take some time to do
Read more.
Callisto is Declining
Callisto came to live with me on November 10th, 2011.  From day one, she has always been a major surface-gulper.
Read more.
How To Euthanize a Fish Humanely
Euthanizing our pet fish is obviously something none of us ever want to have to do, but sometimes it’s the
Read more.
Goldfish Growth and Changes Update
Here’s the most recent update: Butterfly Telescope Growth and Changes Today Luca weighs 47 grams, is 2.75″ in body length,
Read more.
Rest in Peace Callisto
Callisto was euthanized last weekend because of her ongoing and worsening health condition.  It was a tough decision to make,
Read more.
New Culling Nets
For my first spawn of ghost bristol fry, I’ve been making do with a regular aquarium net; the dark green
Read more.

One thought on “The Perfect Rack for 40 Gallon Tanks

1. Ocean Truth

Great find for your 40 breeder tanks! The shelf looks like they were made for the tanks. Everything looks super clean together.

2. Elisa Sandle

Hi! I am looking to buy your fry when they get older if you have a yellow/white or a red butterfly telescope. I’ve been watching Dandy Orandas auction for about 6 months now and they have a very small selection of butterfly telescopes. I already have a red/white butterfly so not very interested in purchasing another.
    I would also love to buy a fish from you because I would love to support you! I accidentally stumbled upon your Youtube channel about 4 months ago and I am so happy I did! I appreciate that you’re passionately showing people that fish have personalities and great qualities just like any other pet.
    Thank you!
    Elisa

3. Kaini

Thank you so much for this post! I’d been looking everywhere for a strong, reasonable 40b stand and THIS is it! Fits wonderfully and is surprisingly good looking for a shelving unit. Best 75 bucks I ever spent, and I would have never seen it without your post, so thank you!

4. photorise

Hi Solid gold! Thank you for the post. I do have a question if you don’t mind. I just bought and setup a 40G breeder on the bottom shelf of the Lowe’s shelving unit you mentioned and the tanks seems to be resting on the edges of the cross bars instead of dropping down to the the particle board sheet. Did you experience anything like this? I wonder if either Petco 40G tanks or shelving unit designs have been modified recently. Thank you, Gene Y.

5. Tiffany Jobi

The tank and shelving have very slightly different measurements with the shelving being just a hair smaller. I imagine if you put the aquarium in before tightening everything down just right, it will fit nice and snug w/out having issues. I’m about to try this afternoon myself. I’ll update if any problems or tricks. 🙂

6. Wes

Thanks for sharing this on the internet. This shelving does really fit 40 gal breeder tanks like a glove.

7. Linda Reyes

I just bought a stand at Petco today and it does not accommodate two 40 gallon tanks as I was told it would. And I searched high and low for something to fit both tanks. I like the idea of these shelves from Lowes but my question is, what is supporting the tank itself?Is it the wood? And does it come with these pieces of wood?I would think so since it’s shelves. Also, does the wood sit on something? I’m having a hard time getting my set up together for my 2 turtles and would appreciate your feed back because I’m loving this idea.Thanks a bunch! Linda

8. Chao Vang

Love your YouTube channel. I’m from Minnesota too. Just purchased a similar rack at Mernards called Muscle Rack, on sale, and from site to store for $39.99.

9. Chao Vang