Dia de los Muertos Goldfish Tank
I thought my goldfish should join in on the holiday fun! Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is
Read more.
Beginner Mistakes to Avoid | Dos and Don’ts
Do plenty of research before buying anyfish!  This will help you avoid many beginner mistakes and allow you toprovide a
Read more.
What Pet Stores Don’t Tell You About… Cycling
Now I don’t want to make it sound like all pet stores give bad information about fishkeeping, because some are
Read more.
Yujin Goldfish Gashapon Collection
Several months ago I discovered these goldfish gashapons and began collecting them!  Gashapons are Japanese capsule toys dispensed from coin
Read more.
Update on Luca, Felix, and Clover
My new ghost bristols have been getting all the attention lately, so I thought I’d take some time to do
Read more.
Callisto is Declining
Callisto came to live with me on November 10th, 2011.  From day one, she has always been a major surface-gulper.
Read more.
How To Euthanize a Fish Humanely
Euthanizing our pet fish is obviously something none of us ever want to have to do, but sometimes it’s the
Read more.
Goldfish Growth and Changes Update
Here’s the most recent update: Butterfly Telescope Growth and Changes Today Luca weighs 47 grams, is 2.75″ in body length,
Read more.
Rest in Peace Callisto
Callisto was euthanized last weekend because of her ongoing and worsening health condition.  It was a tough decision to make,
Read more.
New Culling Nets
For my first spawn of ghost bristol fry, I’ve been making do with a regular aquarium net; the dark green
Read more.

One thought on “Goldfish 101

1. Millie Nowlan-Full

Hi Jennie, i have a goldfish and i use flakes and not sinking pellets. do you think i should go to using sinking pellets? Please reply ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Hayden Cooper

I have been feeding mine flakes since I got them, what makes them bad?
    Will mine eat pellets as they are so used flakes?

3. Matthew Maokhamphiou

Yes you should, the pellets have higher quality ingredients and also are better for goldfish if you get the sinking pellets becuase if they eat things at the surface of the water, they tend to also gulp air which is bad for them

4. Mercedes Nichole

Well, when the fish go to the surface to eat the flakes, they often swallow air. This can cause bloating and/or swim bladder. I also heard (although I’m not certain whether or not this is true) that because the flakes are so thin, they don’t contain all the essential nutrients that goldfish need. I’m sure your fish would be happy to eat pellets!

5. allora long

im only asking this here because I don’t know where else to ask it. and I would like an answer from a real, reliable goldfish expert.

I’m going to upgrade my 40g to a 55g and I plan on getting a Ranchu. but my question is, should I get two? so they have company, or will the one be okay on his own? money is not an issue, and I will gladly get two of that means they have happier lives.

6. kiro

Hi!
    I don’t know if this reply is too late and you might have found out from somewhere else, but I’ll go ahead anyway,
    Goldfish are sociable fish (although not schooling) so you definitely should get at least two of them. They need the company to live happy and fulfilled lives. Plus, you will have so much fun watching your happy fishies bumble about together.

7. allora long

Ah, thank you. As a side question, how would I feed them if I have two? I mean, how do I make sure they both get enough?

8. JaNae Little

I heard for a new tank you should do 10% for a water change.And, when it is settled a 25% water change.Do you have to do a 50-90% water change?

9. Unknown

I tired to get my fish to eat pellets for the past month now and they just won’t eat it! I put a few with the flakes that they were on before I got them. Help!