Today marks the last day of quarantine for my two little butterflies. Ideally I would like to keep them in QT for a week or so longer, but current circumstances prevent that. Since this is the first Christmas my husband and I own a house, we're hosting a family get-together at our place, and we have to move the quarantine tub out of the dining room to make room for everyone. And since there's nowhere else it can go, that means QT will have to be over for the butterflies. In any case, no issues have come up during QT and the two fish both appear very healthy. During their QT period, they had one week in .3% salt, and finished four rounds of praziquantel, so that should have covered the most common parasites.
After the holiday hubbub has passed, I'll set up the 55 gallon tank for the two butterflies, but for now I'm putting them in the 75 gallon tank with my ryukins, Clover and Callisto. This is fine short-term, but eventually I do need to separate the two groups of fish. Not only are the butterflies on a different feeding schedule than the ryukins, but also the ryukins are much faster at finding and eating food than the butterflies are. If I left them all in the same tank long-term, it would be a constant battle trying to make sure the butterflies get their fill of food. Plus, I'd like for them to have as much water volume per fish as possible of course.
Goodbye QT tub!
Hello 75 gallon aquarium! As you can see, is still partially decorated for Christmas. I took out all the glass marbles and the glass trees, but left the frost and snowflakes on the outside. I just didn't want the butterflies to bump into anything while they were still adjusting to the new environment.
After putting the butterflies into the 75 gallon tank, I noticed that Felix had a small white spot on his tail, almost like excess slime coat was built up there. I swabbed it with hydrogen peroxide as soon as I noticed it, and I'm going to have to watch closely to make sure it doesn't become a problem. That's the trouble with using a tub (even a clear one) for quarantine. It can be sometimes difficult to spot issues like this because of the clouded side view and the poor lighting. Hopefully the spot doesn't turn into a bigger problem. I also noticed that both Felix and "Sophie" have numerous breeding tubercles all over the first and second rays of their pectoral fins! "Sophie" even has a few on the gill covers! So I guess they are both male, and "Sophie" will need a name change. I decided on Luca for his new name, because I like it. :)
That's it for now, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!